FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is Leading Change?
Leading Change is a Canada-wide movement started by young environmental and sustainability professionals aimed at engaging, empowering and educating the next generation of environmental leaders, policy thinkers, entrepreneurs and community actors to catalyze action and influence positive change locally, regionally and internationally. The objective is to address environmental, social and economic issues that are critical to attaining a sustainable future for the next generation.
What is the Leading Change Forum?
The Leading Change Forum (also known as the Forum for Emerging Environmental Leaders), is an energy-filled day of plenaries, keynotes, workshops and mentoring sessions that will both inspire and equip delegates to lead change in their own communities. The Forum runs in parallel with the GLOBE Leadership Summit for Sustainable Business and provides multiple post-Forum touch points for selected delegates to take advantage of throughout the week.
The outcomes of The Forum include an expanded network of informed emerging leaders; established relationships between the emerging leaders and mentors; new employment opportunities for young leaders; and innovative new project ideas for emerging leaders to implement in their workplaces, post-secondary institutions and communities.
Where and when is the next Forum taking place?
The next Forum will take place on March 13, 2018 in Vancouver, BC. Additional activities and events run from March 12-16, 2018.
What are the benefits of attending the Forum?
- Connect with 150 passionate young sustainability leaders from across Canada
- Access unique networking opportunities with political and industry leaders
- Learn about new career and employment opportunities
- Be inspired by new ideas (e.g. community projects, a new business, innovating within the workplace)
- Access to GLOBE 2018 plenary panels, breakout sessions, keynotes and social events from March 14-16 at the Vancouver Convention Centre
- Possibility of partial subsidization of travel expenses for out-of-town participants
- The opportunity to present your innovative idea to a GLOBE audience
What are the requirements to be considered as a delegate for the Forum?
The Forum is open to Canadian students and young professionals, aged 19-35, with demonstrated leadership and interest in environmental issues.
Is there a cost to apply to attend the Forum? What happens if I am accepted?
There is NO cost to apply, so please do! If accepted, the registration fee is $150.00 CAN.
Successful applicants will receive a link to our registration page. There is no obligation to accept an offer to be a Leading Change delegate. If your application is successful and you choose not to register, you will not be penalized.
When will applicants be notified if they are officially a delegate?
We are sending out acceptance notices on three separate occasions prior to The Forum. If you don’t hear from us after the first wave, keep in touch we will continue to send out acceptance notices as The Forum gets closer. The tentative dates are:
Early Acceptance – January 9, 2018
General Acceptance – January 31, 2018
Final Acceptance – February 14, 2018 – March 9, 2018
Leading Change understands the earlier you know, the better – especially for out-of-towners. It is our commitment to ensure you have enough time to plan for attendance.
Please note that application does not guarantee acceptance.
What are the official dates that I must be in attendance?
All delegates are required to attend The Forum on March 13, 2018. We hope that you may join us at our launch Monday, March 12 and stay with us for additional activities throughout the week.
I do not live in Vancouver. Are there travel bursaries available?
Leading Change has a promotional code with WestJet which can be used for travel to Vancouver. If you have been accepted, please contact the Delegate Coordinator for more details.
Please note that there is no guarantee for additional travel subsidies and priority is placed on delegates coming from further away (North and East Coast), or who demonstrate financial need. Our sponsorship team is working hard to get the funds needed to help offset costs. Any subsidies are dependent on the generosity of our sponsors.
Are there special hotel rates for delegates?
Unfortunately we do not have any agreements with Vancouver hotels. We recommend setting an alert for local accommodation deals or looking at alternative options such as Couch Surfing, AirBnB, or connecting with a local delegate (see below).
Can we stay with other delegates to save money?
That is totally up to you! If you’re accepted, you’ll receive an an invite to a private Slack page for delegates. You can then connect with new friends there and make any arrangements.
Do we have access to the GLOBE Forum?
Similar to travel subsidies, access to GLOBE is dependent on the funding that Leading Change is able to allocate to GLOBE Forum passes. If GLOBE Forum passes do become available, we will inform delegates of opportunities to receive these passes.
There will be opportunities for delegates to attend certain youth-focused sessions and programming at the GLOBE Innovation Expo.
My company / organization would like to support The Leading Change Forum – what kind of sponsorship opportunities are available?
That’s great news! Our Sponsorship Prospectus is now available if you’d like to get a sense of the many ways we can work together. We also encourage you to contact:
Sponsorship and Sustainability Coordinator – Rory Nussbaumer
Event Manager – Janessa Grossett
This will allow us to discuss how we can best support your organization’s objectives.
What are some of the benefits of sponsorship?
- Profile and media: In addition to the Leading Change network and the significant interest that the next generation gains before, during and after the event, receive increased exposure through the broader GLOBE 2018 conference
- Access to a top talent pool: Sponsors receive the resumes of 150 of Canada’s best and brightest young leaders from a range of professional backgrounds, all engaged in the area of sustainability
- Lend your voice: Depending on the level of sponsorship, representatives from your organization may also contribute to the Forum program and engage in a national dialogue with participants on a particular issue of interest to your organization
- Professional development for youth in your organization: Forum attendance will foster leadership skills development, inspire passion, educate and motivate the next generation of leaders